The Odyssey of a Breakup: A Collection of Poetry

by Michael LaRocca


January

She shot me.
A feeling like no other.
I told her to keep the bullet in.
It helps me remember she meant it.
But she took it away,
leaving nothing to fill the empty.
And here I am,
a fool with a wound.

Inconsistency

Love is amazing.
It must be maintained.
Without consistency,
it falls.
It may still be there,
but what’s the point?
Oh how I wish it was still there.

Seventh

The spark.
Indescribable.
Will this ever be meant to be?
Paths forever riding close,
but like an asymptote,
never meeting.
Has it come?
Is this my time?
No.
Yes.
Maybe?
Yes.
No.
There it went.
I guess I’m never as close as I think.
Someone else will just come to fill the void.
The tragedy continues….

Voyager

Why hello there traveler!
Welcome to our little inn.
We love visitors here,
in fact,
you’re our first one!
Our goal is to give our guests everything they would ever need,
and you can stay as long as you want.
Oh….
I wish you could stay longer,
but I guess that’s fine.
Good luck on your travels.
Tell your friends!
please….

The Catch

She was the light in my life.
I loved her,
Truly.
But the time apart,
unnatural.
Time after time.
Time after time.
New excuses arise.
Time after time.
I wasn’t afraid to tell her my feelings.
But her’s hurt mine.
She never understood me.
I wanted to give her everything.
One could say that is my greater strength,
the ability to Love.
….
I wasn’t innocent by any means.
I made my mistakes, quite often.
But as much as my goal remained clear,
her’s remained shadowed.
….
I found myself in a snare.
In a debate between what was wanted,
or needed.
The constant question.
What was needed was done,
coloring me a villain.
The truth was,
I had so much to give,
but no one to take me serious.
A lonesome haze….

Disbelief

Mind is in shambles.
The concept still processing.
She is mine no more.

Finished

I guess I am the villain.
Many people glorify the villain,
but few know the loneliness.
Everyone left.
Having nothing.
No one to listen to your sadness.
The worst feeling in the world.

Away

Life isn’t so lovely,
when you’re living Runaway by Kanye.
I was just so gifted at finding what I didn’t like the most,
I just have to go up and make a toast.
A toast to eternal protection,
and to lifelong reflection.
All know I hate what I have done,
and all know my only option is one.
All I can do is make my apologies to those I love,
and off I go,
a dove,
soaring forever low.

Comments