Starry Smiles

by Licorne

The night started with a hug hello,
and three hugs more,
A cup of over-watered hot-cocoa,
And a round of musical chairs as we found our seats.

I made you smile,
With silly comments,
And funny faces,
Your smile is pretty,
Really pretty,
Have I ever told you that?

As the night progressed,
and stars glinted towards the horizon,
Your arm fell on my shoulder,
And I fell into a daydream of what being with you would feel like.

But that's all I could do, dream,
And pray to every god out there you weren't a telepath.

Act one was done,
I occupy myself with cookies,
To keep me from memorizing the way you smiled,
as you focused on the stage and the stars that had just started singing on it.

I bring your arm around me,
While in a sugar-glazed-daze,
Listing to a song about hope.

At hallelujah, your arm left my shoulder,
You gaze with content as Fisher takes the stage,
And words you utter to me alone,
Spark a grin on your face,
And I can't help but mirror it on mine.

As the night dwindled,
and the stars glowed,
I felt as though I was stuck in an hourglass.

The hourglass finally drained,
And the sandy mirage of you,
Slips away,
As my mom calls,
tells me she's outside,
My eyes are on the verge of tears.

There was this constellation,
It sang of wanting time to be frozen,
And I couldn't agree more,
I want more time,
To tuck my head under your arm and sway,
Just one more time.

But,
Alas,
All good things must end,
now I'm alone,
Sitting in my room,
Thinking about your head resting over mine,
And smiling.

Your smile is pretty.

I can't wait to see it again on Monday.

Comments