hallways of my mind

by Maddy Williams

You tell me I'm obsessive,
That my brain is an odd place,
A kaleidoscope of reaching and not being tall enough,
And perfect places that don't quite exist.

But if you were really in my head,
You would know,
That my brain is not just a mess of what ifs,
And get evens,
It is my home.
My shelter.
My escape.

my head is a twisting turning maze of questions without answers,
Doors without keys,
A constant ring of chaos turning round in its cage.
They tell me the noise will always be present,
A wave crashing ceaselessly against rocky shores.

But this dark place inside me holds promises,
That have never passed lips.
Corridors of ideas and colors,
Declarations of love hung like tapestries along gilded walls,
Rooms filled with an abounding light,
That fills these colorful halls.

In my head there are places that no one would dare go,
And no one would dare leave.
The people there terrify me,
Yet a secret love inside me yearns for them,
a growing, ravenous secret.

So you can tell me i'm confusing,
You can tell me I will never overcome the darkness inside,
For yes, I am a weary warrior who may be worthy of doubt,
And sometimes craves a losing battle.

But this mind of mine shall never fail me,
You will one day see the soft glow I allow the world to see,
Turn into a wildfire of a girl.
Ready to open the doors of her mind
And illuminate.

Comments