White Chalk

by Jacynth Apora

Bring me the color
that makes a hue lighter
Bring me the color
that brings luck to a July born Cancer
Bring me, a suppliant, this color,
my seagulls and sailor.

Bystander angels
who witnessed how
I sang to make melody out of insanity
Gave out flowers to saviors
who did not deserve to suffer
the hell I disguised
with prettiness and favor
You cannot cheat the essence of control
that's what I've learned from seagulls.

I wait for someone
who will tell me to swim with her
We sail at seven,
in the morning or evening
like a baby's eyes opening
for the first time in the spring
Conceived by snow
now waves rock the boat
like a baby being rocked to sleep
She tells me I am mine to keep
as our heartbeats share a rhythm.

Flint striker of ambition
Handmade creations
I used to dream in noir
but I don't need to anymore.

I take the time to say, "I'm sad"
I make the time to say, "I'm happy"
That's the most I've ever said in my poetry
all my other words were desperate 
for the breath I've wasted
resuscitating skeletons.

This color brought to me
covered in new memory
Wiping off chalk dust
like the cremated ashes of my old body.

Comments