i want to love myself but i can't right now

by Tess Rempel

i want to love myself but i can't right now
it's hard to know yourself when you don't know how
to define yourself outside of others' definition of you
sure, it's easy to self love for a night or two
but when you get to look in the mirror you see more flaws than you knew
does anyone know how to love a perfectionist?
a pessimist?
I see myself for who I am, maybe that's why it's so hard
those who love me haven't gotten past the guard
who walks outside my walls, making sure no one sees inside
everyone thinks it looks like a castle but then they'd see the flowers that have died-
the overgrown trees-
they think breaking down the walls is a cure but it's more of a disease
they just don't realize they're sick
until they start taking down the bricks.

-

life is too vivid for a girl like me
flashing lights
long drives in dark nights
groceries collapsing onto one another in the trunk
animals running across the road, trembling chipmunks
hands gripping the steering wheel
the world keeps moving no matter how its passengers feel.

-

i beg of the curtain to never rise
i don't want to play the part
some doors to never open and
some days to never start.

the role is making me detached 
my brain gets worn out from all the hopes and dreams and people it's trying to catch
the characters i'm trying to play
the audience i'm trying to please
all of this makeup is giving me acne

it's hard not to hate everyone you love
somehow i can't seem to get enough
of people making me feel less i am
because at least it makes feel something
I fin it hard to keep trusting when
part of me wants to use hands to shield the world and
the other part of me wants to use fists to fight
bottom line? I don't know if this world and I
are that close of friends.
i want to be its biggest rival but also i never want it to end
this world is in a crisis and
it's not looking like i can escape this society of illness, of strife, of violence.

Comments